Giving Your Dog Cannabis: A Step-by-Step Guide
Recommended doses for dogs are based on Patient-Reported Outcome (PRO) data and scientific evidence for direct anticancer effects. Lower doses may be effective for symptomatic relief, but there are no guarantees of effectiveness for either anticancer or symptomatic relief in individual dogs.
If you’re thinking of using cannabis for your dog, it’s best to start with THC or CBD-infused oils. Alternatively, you can dilute Full Extract Cannabis Oil (FECO) into a base oil. It’s important to gradually increase the dosage until you reach a target goal of 1mg THC and 2mg CBD per pound of body weight. Start with CBD dosing only for the first week. From the second week onwards, you can administer THC and CBD together and give three doses, spread throughout the day. Make sure to apply the infused oil directly to food, treats, or gums, but avoid adding it to water or other liquids.
If THC causes side effects, discontinue both THC and CBD for the day. The next day, administer a dose 1-2 drops lower than the previous dose. In the event of extreme side effects in dogs from THC consumption, vets can provide anti-anxiety medications and replace lost fluids. Possible side effects include
- Inability to move
- Inability to eat or drink
- Staring off into space
- Clear distress
Continuous Monitoring of Your Dog’s Condition During Treatment
During your dog’s treatment, it’s important to keep a close eye on their status for any potential side effects or benefits. This involves regular veterinary checkups and monitoring their progress at home. Keep an eye out for the following benefits that may occur:
- Anti-inflammatory effects
- Reduced pain
- A general feeling of well-being
- Reduced depression and anxiety
- Acting like their old self or even puppy-like behavior
- Increased Appetite
- Any decrease in symptoms that started along with the cancer diagnosis
- Decrease in cancer markers or tumor burden
Overall, if you are not getting the results you want, the target dose of the THC and/or CBD should be increased. Increasing by 10-20mg THC and 20-40mg CBD is reasonable. Remember to slowly increase THC by no more than 3mg per day.
Feeding Your Dog FECO: Tips and Tricks
FECO or FECO-infused oil can easily be incorporated into your dog’s food. As the amount of FECO used is minimal, most dogs won’t even notice it’s there. However, for those who do, there are a few methods for getting them to eat it:
- Mix it with peanut butter
- Wrap it in cheese
- Use a Pill Pocket
Some dogs may even let you rub the FECO directly onto their gums, or they may lick it off your hand if it’s infused with oil. One thing to remember is to never put FECO in water.
Administering THC and CBD Drops for Dogs
- For THC and CBD drops, assume each drop has about 1mg of the substance.
- Administer between 20-100 drops of THC and 100-300 drops of CBD per day.
- Once you reach 30 drops per dose, or one dropperful, you no longer need to count each individual drop.
- Follow the Basic Scale-Up protocol for a 15-pound dog with 15 drops THC and 30 drops CBD as the target
Basic Scale-Up Protocol:
- Day 1: 3 drops CBD, then 5 drops CBD later
- Day 2: 5 drops CBD 3 times per day
- Day 3-7: 10 drops CBD 3 times per day
- Day 8 onwards: Continue 10 drops CBD 3 times per day for the rest of the protocol. On this day, introduce 1 drop of THC 3 times alongside the CBD doses. Increase the THC dosage by one drop per dose each day (2 drops THC 3 times per day the next day, 3 drops THC 3 times per day the day after that, and so on). By Day 12, you will be giving 5 drops THC 3 times per day with 10 drops CBD 3 times per day.
A Sample Scale-Up Dosing Protocol for a 50lb Canine
Need help scaling up dosing for your pet? Check out this guide for a 50-pound dog. The example targets 50mg THC and 100mg CBD doses and uses 30mg/mL THC and CBD infused oils containing 30 drops per mL.
- Day 1: 3 drops (3mg CBD) and 5 drops (5mg CBD); 8mg CBD total
- Day 2: 5 drops (5mg CBD) 3x a day; 15mg CBD total
- Day 3: 10 drops (10mg CBD) 3x a day; 30mg CBD total
- Day 4: 15 drops (15mg CBD) 3x a day; 45mg CBD total
- Day 5: 20 drops (20mg CBD) 3x a day; 60mg CBD total
- Day 6: 25 drops (25mg CBD) 3x a day; 75mg CBD total
- Day 7: 30 drops (30mg CBD) 3x a day; 90mg CBD total
- Day 8: 33 drops (33mg CBD) 3x a day; ~100mg CBD total
- Day 9+: Continue with 33 drops CBD 3 times per day for rest of protocol. Starting today, add 1 drop THC 3 times per day to the CBD doses. Increase by 1 drop per dose each day (2 drops THC 3 times alongside CBD next day, 3 drops THC alongside CBD the day after that, etc.). At this rate, by Day 25, there will be 17 drops THC 3 times per day given alongside the 33 drops CBD 3 times per day. This is technically 51mg THC and 99mg CBD per day, which is close enough to the target to be acceptable.
It’s important to keep in mind that this advice is based on currently available information and is meant as general guidance. As further research and knowledge is gained, these recommendations may change drastically. Additionally, since every dog is unique, some may require a slower increase in dosage, whereas others may be able to handle higher dosages quicker. Although there is still much more to learn, the scientific evidence and Patient-Reported Outcome data clearly demonstrate that these dose ranges are sensible and could potentially lead to anticancer effects. By following other recommendations from the Wheel of Hope, the probability of positive outcomes can also increase.